Don't have time to go to the gym every day? As a fitness trainer, I have always been an advocate that you don't need a gym membership to stay in shape, you can work out at home -- or even better, outdoors. You do have to make the time, but it doesn't have to be two hours a day. I like to incorporate quick, effective exercises that, if you are consistent, will get you results. Summer is here and there are so many great places to go to get a quick workout; you can go for a 20-minute walk, do stairs at a high school stadium, walk the track or, at the park, use the playground equipment (and while you're at it, just do planks). I have worked with many celebrity clients, and their biggest complaint is that they have no time to work out with their busy schedules. On my stint on the "Today" show, I appeared while pregnant to demonstrate pregnancy and postpartum exercises. I want every woman to know that I am just like you -- I am a working mom and wife; I act on what is going on in my life and how it relates to everyone in regards to health, wellness and exercise. So let's cut the chatter and get to the matter.
My step work-out tips can help you stay lean and fit while at home, traveling on business or vacation -- there are no excuses, just great locations for workouts. Everyone has access to stairs (bonus: no monthly dues!); use them as a fitness tool to look divine on a dime. These tips are designed to tighten your abs, arms, butt and thighs. If you use my workouts at least three times a week and concentrate on incorporating healthy "real" food on the weekends, you will start seeing and feeling the results right away.
Stepping up and down is just what it sounds like. This up-and-down movement on an actual step, aerobics bench or step in your home engages the hips, butt and legs -- not to mention your heart! I recommend getting a step, as it is one piece of equipment that actually can be stored under the bed. You can find them at local spotring goods stores or even a yard sale.
To get started, step up with your right foot and then step up with your left foot. Return by stepping down with your right foot and following with the left. Repeat for many, many minutes, and don't think about it. Adding arm movements is a great way to increase your heart rate and make your workout tougher. You can curl your arms up and down and then raise them overhead. As you advance the moves, you can get more demanding about your output. Or try stepping up with your right foot and then driving your left knee up in the air without touching the step. Bring it back down to the ground, as well as your right foot, then repeat on the other side. This is great for lifting your backside. Over time, you will love the lift you get from stepping!
DVDs are also excellent for anyone that is serious about getting into better shape, but has always been afraid of the commitment. Let's face it; many people are intimidated by gyms. My DVDs are really effective and actually fun to do. Ever since Julia Roberts starred in the blockbuster hit "The Pelican Brief," she says she's stayed in shape with the help of The Kathy Kaehler Fitness System DVD. This step routine includes cardio, weights, body sculpting and
stretching. Julia's definitely seen results! Julia has been using this DVD for the last 15 years. She continues to work out with me weekly, but when she travels or is on location for a film, she uses it.
If the step work-out above is still too much for you, here are some tips anyone can live by.
1. The second you get up, cut a lemon in half and squeeze it into a glass. Fill with water and drink. The benefits of drinking lemon water are endless!
2. Mark a spot that is a half-mile from your house. Now walk it, wearing a watch. If you can't walk there and back in less than 15 minutes, keep doing it until you can. If you can, then do it twice. Walking is an awesome way to exercise.
3. Celebrities do it, fit people do it and now you should do it: the plank. It's one of the best ways to strengthen your core with nothing but yourself and the floor. On your hands or forearms, hold your body straight like a board. Build up so you can hold the plank for a minute. Everyone has a minute!
4. Keep it real when it comes to your meals. If you can count back one step to the original state of the food, then that should be your choice. Like an apple, it is one step from the tree. The closer to "real," the better.
5. Drink up. All my celebrity clients meet me at the door with a big glass of water. Drinking before, during and after workouts is key to hydration, feeling full and beautiful skin. Keep the glass full throughout the day to extend the benefits of drinking water all the time.
Remember, it is all about a lifestyle change. For more healthy eating and workout tips, go to
kathykaehler.net and check out my Sunday Set-Up™ Program -- a lot of my club members like being in the club because I am there motivating them daily. Think of my site as the hub of health and me as your lifestyle coach!
Until next time~