Dr. Wayne Dyer's teachings are a part of me and a part of all of us who ever had the pleasure of reading his books, taking his workshops, and/or listening to his soothing voice unfold life's mysteries on our morning commutes and jogs. This beloved grandfather-like friend to self-help lovers far and wide, Wayne, is a movement -- a force of love, peace, and joy -- and a change-agent that death most certainly cannot reckon with.
Perhaps Wayne will live on in life's simple joys, such as tender moments, stopped and savored with loved ones. In the deep peace of solitude; in fireplaces, steamy tea cups, good books, and thoughtful days. In moments that make you feel small against massive, twinkling star-scapes and in symphonies of crickets that steal away your troubles. In our bodies that break and the hardships that sometimes face us, and in everything that awaits us on the other side. In desperate moments of surrender that remind us of our humanness; in the love that somehow never ceases to catch our fall. In the sun that always rises, in the current that blooms roses and ignites our thoughts. If there is such a place as the drum that beats all hearts and in the hand that heals all wounds, surely Wayne must be there at last.
Yes, maybe Wayne lives now in millions of grains of sand between our toes and in the vast oceans that connect us across our differences. Like the mountains that hold us regardless of our histories, he'll have strength of the ages. He will live in the wise laughter of children and, undoubtedly, in the lives his children will go on to lead.
To me, Wayne lives now in the stillness of night -- the magic 3 a.m. hour he so often made his own. He is art that comes through us but is not of us, like the books he left behind. He is a quest for the unfathomable -- an obsession many of us joyfully shared with him. He is minds hungry for peace, joy, and meaning; he is eyes that see beauty and possibility; he is hands orchestrating better futures; he is bodies committed to thriving, voices speaking truth, and hearts that -- you better bet -- simply won't give up on life.
If he has taught us anything, it's that he lives only in this moment, right here, right now, and that it takes only takes one breath to visit him.
Wherever that is, Wayne, I'm pretty darn sure that you're right at home.
Thanks, to this great motivational teacher and spiritual leader, for showing us what it means to be a visionary. You've sure touched the world during your stay but I have no doubt that your work's just getting started.
We'll never forget your teachings:
- "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal. Live this day as if it were your last. The past is over and gone. The future is not guaranteed." -- Wayne Dyer
- "You cannot be lonely if you like the person you're alone with." -- Wayne Dyer
- "When I chased after money, I never had enough. When I got my life on purpose and focused on giving of myself and everything that arrived into my life, then I was prosperous." -- Wayne Dyer
- "Everything in the universe has a purpose. Indeed, the invisible intelligence that flows through everything in a purposeful fashion is also flowing through you." -- Wayne Dyer
- "Doing what you love is the cornerstone of having abundance in your life." -- Wayne Dyer
- "Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change." -- Wayne Dyer
- "There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love; there's only scarcity of resolve to make it happen." -- Wayne Dyer
- "The fact that you are willing to say, 'I do not understand, and it is fine,' is the greatest understanding you could exhibit." -- Wayne Dyer
- "What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds." -- Wayne Dyer
- "When the choice is to be right or to be kind, always make the choice that brings peace." -- Wayne Dyer
- "Abundance is not something we acquire. It is something we tune into." -- Wayne Dyer
- "The state of your life is nothing more than a reflection of the state of your mind." -- Wayne Dyer
- "When you squeeze an orange, orange juice comes out, because that's what's inside. When you are squeezed, what comes out is what is inside." -- Wayne Dyer
- "I am realistic - I expect miracles." -- Wayne Dyer
- "Heaven is a state of mind, not a location." -- Wayne Dyer
- "When you dance, your purpose is not to get to a certain place on the floor. It's to enjoy each step along the way." -- Wayne Dyer
Sources: Goodreads.com, "Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life"
Photo credit Creative Commons | Greg Westfall Photography, "Symphony of Love" Images
Let's all honor Dr. Wayne Dyer this month by celebrating life: his favorite thing of all!
Please share any stories of ways he inspired or influenced you in the comment section below.