"One person's trash is another person's treasure."
As a redhead fashion and accessories expert, I search and search for items that will make my outfit unique and fun. Recently, I took a break from department stores and made a trip to my grandmother's closet. I found unbelievable fashion treasures in old boxes that hadn't been touched in years (Did I mention she was a redhead, too?!). These gems dated back generations and were worn everywhere from the local boom-boom room to riding to the beaches in a classic Ford Galaxy. It took hours to look through the scarves, belts and clutches. Who knew fashion and accessories that dated back decades and decades could be rocked in my everyday 2012 redhead wardrobe?
Whether you are looking in an old family member's closet or going to your local vintage flea market, you can rock the old treasures that were worn "back in the day." My favorite part about finding old vintage accessories is that they can really make an outfit pop and your red hues will stand out amongst the crowd.
Living in New York City, everyone is out to wear the latest trends and up-and-coming apparel. One of the greatest feelings is when someone comes up to me asking where I got my vintage Fendi belt or YSL leather boots; I smile and picture my grandmother looking glamorous as she walked the streets of New York City in the '40s with her fiery red hair.
Ready to find little treasures that will rock your look? These accessories will make any outfit pop and bring back 'the good ol' days':
1. Big Clutches: The '40s were a great time for women to experiment with their purses and boy, did they! You can never go wrong with clutches, as they can be worn during the day or night. Play around with the texture and style.
2. High-Wasted Belt: This was a very popular look in the '50s and is seen in almost every episode of the AMC hit show, Mad Men. High wasted belts look great with a tucked in shirt and a bright, pleated skirt.
3. Cat-Eye Sunglasses: Block the sun with fashionable cat-eye shaped sunglasses. They were huge in the '60s and are very popular today. Don't be afraid to play around with the size of the frame.
4. Scarf Headbands: Who said scarves had to be worn only on your neck? Silk scarves were seen everywhere in the '70s. Rock a tied scarf at the beach or with a casual maxi dress.
5. Huge Earrings: These were all the rage in the '80s. Plastic earrings with funky designs and bright colors can be paired with almost any summer outfit. Don't forget the bright lipstick!
These accessories are sure to be essential pieces in your wardrobe. It's time to bring back the decades that many have forgotten and Rock it like a Redhead!